IMZ ACADEMY 2020: “THE COMPLETE PERFORMER OF THE FUTURE – EMBRACING MEDIA SKILLS IN MUSIC EDUCATION”
In the course of this online workshop, leading experts explore how conservatories can integrate media skills training into their syllabi to prepare students effectively for the challenges + opportunities presented by the digital world.
3 December 2020, online workshop, 10:00-18:00 followed by virtual drinks + networking
Supported by AEC – Association Européenne des Conservatoires and Music + Arts University of the City of Vienna (MUK)
“Digital competencies are now top of the list in the tool kit of what music students require.”
– Deborah Kelleher, Director Royal Irish Academy of Music, Dublin, April 2020.
In the course of the second edition of this IMZ Academy, leading experts explore how conservatories could integrate media skills training into their syllabi to prepare students effectively for the challenges + opportunities presented by the digital world.
COVID-19 has had a particularly significant impact on classical musicians. Suddenly, digital has become almost the only means for artists to perform. There has been an explosion of online creativity, with individuals often taking the lead ahead of organisations. It’s certain that when “normal life” resumes, things will have changed forever and how young musicians are taught to navigate + leverage the digital world will be crucial.
While almost all music + arts tertiary institutions now recognise the need to incorporate digital as part of the creative and entrepreneurial toolkit of young artists, “what and how?” are key questions.
- To outline the knowledge required by a conservatoire or university music department to position itself and its students in the digital world
- To help conservatories define + develop their digital strategy + curricula for the benefit of their students
- To identify the changes in attitude + approach required from management + teachers in order to effect change
- To explore the role that digital skills can play in the development of the complete classical musician in the 21st century, acknowledging the way in which music is now made, listened to and distributed on digital networks + social media
- To share examples of best practice in digital courses for music students as part of the undergraduate + post-graduate experience
- Management staff of Higher Music Education Institutions + Universities
- Teaching staff of Higher Music Education Institutions + Universities
- Alumni + Post-Graduate students who want to remain up-to-date on best practice in teaching
Freelance Director + Digital Strategist, IMZ Academy Director
Henk van der Meulen
Principal at Royal Conservatoire of The Hague + Vice-chairman at University of the Arts The Hague
Head of the Classical Department at Royal Conservatoire of The Hague
Pianist + Member of the AEC Student Working Group
Chair of the Student Network at the Association of European Conservatoires
Head of Digital at the Royal College of Music, London
Director of Programmes at the Royal College of Music, London